The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Was That A Little Harsh?

From the stats I've seen, over 100 unique hits have been to my Open Mic review. That seems like a lot for a webpage lacking pictures of (insert outlandish bodily function/fetish here), doesn't it? And from the looks I got tonight from a couple comics tonight, perhaps they may have been amongst the 100+. So be it.

I won't apologize for voicing my opinion. Frankly, stand-up comedy is a passion of mine, one of very few in my life. And not that every performance at an OPEN MIC has to be ready for an HBO audition... But WOW, some of that stuff was HORRIBLE. Anybody can get on the list... except me that night as I showed late... and therefore you're not going to always watch a "comic," per se. Some of them are just people who are getting their rocks off. But 3 minutes at an open mic does not a comic make. Last year I did nearly 200 sets from 3-45 minutes in length as a means of sifting through what was funny and what wasn't. Built an act, found my voice, and at the same time realized that I will never be easy like Sunday morning about my act. It will always change, as long as I want it to, and hopefully it will always get better. Evolve or bomb.

So if you're a comic who thinks you were shat upon by my review, you'll find me at clubs all over the place sooner or later. Want to talk about it, please do so. Bitch about me if you want, it's your perogative. I will also gladly give whatever pointers I can about your performance. Not that anybody should take The Comedy Gospel of My Big Head to heart, but hey, we all want each other to get better, so that Seattle has a rep as a kick ass scene for comedy. If you want to get better, great! If you don't, that's great, too. But I can only ride in a fart-filled car before I roll down the window and start pointing fingers. And if I caused the discomfort, you can count on me claiming the devastation.

Go blog yourself.



Take Me Home

My Non-Funny Blog.

No comments: