The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Insurance Policies & Other Horseshit

Greetings;
In the past, whenever I was an employee of a company, I had health coverage supplied by my employer. In the past 5 years since I began working on-contract it has become more difficult to guarantee coverage. There is often a 90-day working period without coverage. Monthly COBRA payments often cost over $1,000 for "peace of mind." I am currently working on-contract again, and have to supply my own health coverage entirely. And cannot get it. And I'm not sure I want it.

Health Insurance companies generalize and blanket a judgment of a level of care a person may need, based on a questionnaire you must fill out for the insurance provider. Proof-positive that we are looked at as statistics, not patients, and especially not people. This is true when they "score" a person's health history questionnaire. That score determines whether or not you have the ability to pay into the pool of money you may need to cover a doctor's visit. Or a hospital stay.

I recently paid out-of-pocket for a doctor's visit and my prescriptions. Total was $290. Had I paid into the plan I had applied for, I would have paid THE SAME payments toward the deductible, as well as the monthly $170 premium for them to keep track of my money for me. I had to go to a walk-in clinic instead of my choice of care-provider. I got most of what I needed. $170*2months = $340 + $40 of co-pays = $380. Simple math.

So sit tight if you have health coverage already. Don't set out on your own. Don't skydive, or drink too much, or take up Tokyo Drifting or self-tattooing. Do nothing whatsoever. Let your government make the case for you that you are worthy of a health care plan, THE WETNESS OF THE AMERICAN DREAM... and force you into taking one.

Ironically enough, I am currently on-contract for a major Health Insurance company. They shall remain nameless out of courtesy to those I work with, and the round-about ways money makes it to my pocket. So don't ask. From what I can tell, this company (also a non-profit firm) is doing all it can to keep things flowing, and as complicated as the Inflow and Outflow of claims and money goes these days, I'm amazed we don't just give our favorite doctor $1000 at the beginning of the year and say "tell me when I'm down to the last $200."

That kind of stuff'll make you sick, crazy, and in need of in-patient psych work. More than you need now, I mean.
====
Take Me Home

My Blog About My Dad

MC, MASTER OF CEREMONIES, HOSTING, HOST, COMEDY, SEATTLE, EVENTS, ORGS, EVENT, PARTIES, FUNDRAISING, NPO, NON-PROFITS

No comments: