The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Monday, April 04, 2005

Perspective, Revisited

As I mature, wizen, and/or grow some emotional callouses I am finding the importance of Perspective. The P-word, the juxtaposition to your situation, good or bad, from which you can see things more clearly. It is the lesson in action. I try to not get stuck reading the screenplay when I can clearly see that my next line is:
"Hey, how's it going? I'm here to, uh...
(adjusts toolbelt) Check your pipes."
I value perspective now that I'm older. I used to think that something trying would go down and I'd wallow in it with a "Why me? Tell me great Lormok, Wisest of All FrogWizards!!!" Yeah, I have my traditional spirituality, and that which demands sacrifice. Perspective. But things happen against the grain and it can throw the proverbial trick-knee into your day.
Look, shit's gonna happen and it's going to piss you off. My dad's illness, for one. His personality has been 80% wiped out. His behavior is not too far from that of a 4 year-old who knows all the dirty words. He is still very loving and remembers his family and friends. But he will never fully appreciate watching his grandkids grow up (someday, not soon). He won't be emotionally engaged on the days his children get married. It's just not in his program any more.
Some of the other dads around my circle weren't as "there" as my dad was. He was in the groove of being a dad, he enjoyed it, he loved my sister and I. We know all of this, which is our Perspective to his affected self of Now. He loved my mom through quite a few moments where it seemed like the only thing to do would be disappear or divorce, but dammit, not another day of whatever was going on. And he stood his ground, telling me things like "keep your eyes open for the next few days. You'll see some changes." He taught me the importance of cause & effect, and Perspective rang through.
Appreciate your friends as people so they will be there when you need humanity. Enjoy a moment when you are "bored" before your moments are filled with the boredom of pointless efforts. Drink a cup of cold coffee and you'll see how heat and pressure can produce a pleasurable experience. Have a dog so you can see how great it is to not have a cat. Quietly appreciate your health in the midst of much illness. Take a deep breath and enjoy the air while you can, because what you think are Seagulls are actually the ocean police and you'll soon be in mermaid jail.
You can have it better. It could be worse. Focus ahead of you, and be happy that your legs work, as you skitter away from that section of Gottschalk's that you have fouled. For now, you're off for bargains, while another person will appreciate fresh air that much better. Thank you PerspectiveGirl. You are my favorite of all PrettyGood Heroes.
Take Me Home

My Blog About My Dad

2 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

Perspective is the key to most things in life. Great post, I'm digging the blog..

GL Rules said...

I appreciate that. Thanks for checking things out.