The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Better, Closer, Funnier

Last night's Underpants Open Mouth was as close to stellar as I've ever seen. The good comics got great responses, the newer guys who tried got good responses, and the Bellevue Salad Dressing of the comics got stared at or tagged on by the MC, Jeremy Whitman. Jeremy then had a big debate afterwards over his Rick Astley-ness.

Theme of the Night That Played Itself Out None Too Soon:
Rodger Lizzaola's Latino heritage. It almost got a head of steam, but as is prone with this kind of stereotyping, it stopped working early on.

Best Bald Comic:
Killorn O'Neill. That's a wig, has to be. Scott Meyer also RULED for like 10 minutes after his 3 minutes. To quote Scott: 'MONGO HAS A HAMMER?'

Best Resurrected Bit:
Duane Goad's revisitation to "The Stalker." That's all I'm saying.

Best Misuse of Stage Time: (TIE)
1) Stay positive... okay... I saw a guy go 0-for-6 on the joke scoreboard. Uncomfortable. And he's been doing it for a while, which is even more reason to quit. Pandered for a laugh to close on, got a round of stares. Poor bastard.
2) I won't drop a name here, keeping it postitive, but when starting your act with "I know what you're thinking... just another brown guy in a FUBU jersey," you kind of open yourself up for slagging. I don't understand why comics of skin color darker than off-white want to perpetuate divisive stereotypes through their material. Also, if you're going to set-up a tag line with "Oh, you may laugh..." make sure that people were, you know, laughing.

Best Post-Set MC Tag:
Jeremy tagging #2 above, who ended on a joke about not being allowed to wear adult diapers for fear of being teased. "See, you CAN shit on yourself in front of your friends." Jeremy is aaaawwwesoooooome. Dingly dangle doo.

I think that's enough out of me. I'm off to do whatever it is I do when the system's up and running here. It's not running, but I have screensaver I slapped together that looks like I'm working. Desk nap #2, on the way.

HAX-TV tonight! 10pm, Channel 77. Be there. Please?
-------------
"It's funnier when you don't screw it up."

Take Me Home

My Non-Funny Blog.

No comments: