The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Golden Years

Once and for all, I'm asking you to tell me if I am being a flaming a-hole.
Seriously.

Yes, You, oh literate and fantastic in those pants Reader. Am I purporting myself in the style of a butt's hole lately? I ask because I've had some really odd interactions with others in the recent days, and I wonder if I'm putting off a stink of some sort.

My first one was with an elderly lady who cut in line at the drug store. (again, I give no props here unless, sponsored, but figurative Cleveland Steamers come free) She shuffled ahead of me, as I was 4th in line, and she wanted to be 4th, apparently. She seemed to be moving much more slowly than previously when I saw her in the store, but I figured it was just the passing of a kidney or past the time she usually stares out the window and reminisces. But for whatever reason, she was at the druggist at 6pm on a Tuesday.

At the same time, I cleared my throat, but only because I had to clear it, not because I wanted to draw attention to the fact that she, being elderly, was not allowed to just CUT in line. Instead, I figured if she'd asked nicely I would have considered giving her the spot before telling her to beat it. But she took, and I was probably just choking on the words to right the situation.

A small blip in my head went off, and I thought "What's the harm? Honestly? None. Zero. Nothing. Let it go." And in that moment, I breathed deeply, exhaled slowly, and I Let It Go. I felt peace. I felt At Peace. I found Zen. There was no harm. No resistance. I made my purchase, paid with cash, and walked out with my Crosswords and my Riesen Chocolate Chews, and felt good about it.

As I stepped outside, I heard "Hey prick. Yeah YOU."

I turn around to see the old lady glaring at me, finger pointing.

"What's with all the huffing and puffing? Whaddya gonna do? Tell on me?"

I replied with "No, I just took a deep breath and let go of the fact that you cut in line."

"Oh did you? Must make you feel pretty big, huh?"

"No, I just... you're crazy."

"Yeah, I'm crazy like a fox, jerk!"

Next time you see an old person at the front of line acting confused, remember that it's hard getting older, but you don't have to suffer alone.

=====
Take Me Home

My Blog About My Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always thought you were a pain in the ass from the day you were born. I am glad you are my brother, but you are still a "Poop-dummy plubbbbthp!"

Anonymous said...

"Clearly you can see the old mans' nuts"

Anonymous said...

Nah, I think the whole engagement thing has softened you way too much.