The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Like I Care. WAIT, I Didn't Mean It Like That!!!

I had a showcase today for the Las Vegas Comedy Festival, which is the "Big K" brand of comedy festivals. There's Montreal, Aspen, Chicago, and Edinburgh, Scotland. Then it's a 100-story drop to the next tier of comedy festivals. Mostly local things like Bumbershoot and whatever else attracts aging hipsters with disposable income due to their inability to drop their "over it" facades long enough to let their f*cktools ease up and create a baby. DAMN I love them and their tortoise-shell spectacles.

So this festival is really for the newer guys on the mid-to-lower tiers of the comedy world. For the sake of pork, there were TWO prop/juggling duos in attendance. TWO. I wonder if they snipe the way most other comics do. Comedy is immediate justice: Joke, Laugh/No Laugh. But what of the juggling and prop comics? Do they see a team and think "Yeah, it WOULD take two of you to act like your pulling scarves out of your sleeve and the last one happens to look like your underwear and you act embarrassed, you hacks."? Who cares? I hate that crap.

I had a pretty good set. The comics were laughing, which is normally a bad sign, but they were the only crowd members, so I took it as a bene. Yay, doing comedy to a crowd of people who are thinking "F*CK YOU! LOSE. LOSE LOSE LOSE! FLUB IT. FLUB A LINE!" You could almost feel the apathy. I dug it.

So now I wait a few days to find out how things go. There are a couple more showcases for the judging group to attend, and then they'll post the results on their site. I have been to Las Vegas twice already this year. February sucked because I was setting a record for power-vomiting artichoke dip from the Harley Davidson Cafe. June was fun, then sucked, then was fun, then really sucked, and was nearly a waste of time. But hey, third time's a charm. I have to get new glasses.
Tortoise shell, natch.

Oh, and I learned this: Sometimes you make your best move by deciding you don't have to make a move at all. I decided last week that a move I may have to make will benefit me best if I do not move at all. In other words, never say more than you have to. And for crying out loud, tell your sister to quit calling me. You know who you are.
===========================
Take Me Home

My Non-Funny Blog.

No comments: