The Geoff Lott Rules Live Tour Of Comedy & Talking

=--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

Friday, January 28, 2005

I'm A Little Tense About the Voting

The past 6 months have not bode well for elections. Whether it's Ohio's hog-tied Reddening or Chris "6 Years And I'm Outta This Closet!" Gregoire's arguing that NO NO NO SHE IS THE GOVERNOR, Democracy has been kicked gut-flush. Sunday will mark Iraq's election, and their voter turnout, much like ours, is going to be violently dictated by a radical religious regime known as Hollywood. Sorry Dems, we lost because Kerry wasn't ready to be President, but nobody told him that. And for crying out loud.... Jackson Browne???

ANYway, tonight and tomorrow are the last 2 nights of the Giggles Laugh-Off. I made the finals, as did Brad Brake, Scott Black, Geoff Brousseau, DL, Andy Peters, Owen Straw, and Drew Barth. With all these candidates, we're all running on different platforms. Turns out that some of those platforms aren't funny as far as funny pertains to originality and ability. So I figure it this way... I'm not doing the contest. I'm going to do comedy. I am bringing a good attitude to it, and I'll go with the flow of the night. Besides, being judged by a roomful of half-drunk strangers who don't see the nuances of a good performance reminds me too much of family reunions. The nuances, by the way, can be found tucked between the knacks and the vigor.

Good Comedy tells ya what's going on without telling you what's going on. It's all pulled from a section of life and hopefully, if the comic's any good, there's a new perspective on it. And if not, well, it takes all kinds, even if they use unscientific terms to relate tales of bodily functions.
========
In response to Anonymous:

Your self-diagnosed paranoia is well-founded. People are talking about you when you're not around. They're saying you are paranoid, as you hot-stack it with unearned self-righteousness. And from all accounts, you are continuing to talk about others in modes of gossip and half-truths, so you've again proven yourself as little more than a mosquito.
Rumors, gossip, half-truths, politicking, whatever it's called, it's really odd to hear about. I'm not sure what it is because I, and most others, have quit watching a while ago.
Insanity: Repeating behavior patterns while expecting different results each time.
Good luck with that.
========
Another good way to make it look like you earn too much money is to send e-mails like the one I received from a "manager" yesterday at 4:30pm:
Hi Goeff!

Could you send me by tomorrow a list of the techs for Call Centers in 2004? I want to show our coverage for the work we did in 2004 by the techs for Call Centers! And can I get that by tomorrow afternoon?

Thanks!

Now, I have edited out some of the more work-propietary stuff, but the rest of this communiqué met the sender's standards for requesting information. My name's misspelled (even though it's in the address line and we've worked together before), we have 5 types of Call Centers, and "tech" is a title bestowed upon employees in no less than 15 different teams. "Afternoon" means WHEN, exactly? Redundancy aside, I hope you can understand what kind of people it takes to run a company directly into the ground.
==========
In the meantime, Tony Moser finds his muse.
==========
Is anybody blogging anymore? So much for creativity.
==========

ake Me Home

My Non-Funny Blog.

7 comments:

SafeCracker said...

I think the fact that you wrote to "anonymous" is making me paraniod. Unless you're talking about alcoholics anonymous, which does not make me paranoid, it just makes me foreshadowy.

GL Rules said...

So now the question: Is it better to be talked semi-negatively about than not be talked about at all?
Discuss... because I sure am.

Lott

SafeCracker said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure what your getting at, but, I am sure of this: to whatever, whomever, whereever you are referring to, if it is a comic, it is in their nature to talk shit. No that does not make it right, no it does not pacify gossip in any way. But, it is the essence of comedians to talk shit. Isn't that what comics do? Talk shit? Except we layer it with punchlines and generalities, but at the core of a bit you are talking shit about something. Except in the realm of stand-up comics, some are better than taking the high road. All in all, they're just words, and they are just people. And last I checked neither really matter, unless you put meaning behind them.
And I quote the Buddha:

"Suffering does not befall him who is without attachment to names and forms. . . ."

GL Rules said...

Addressing a note to Anonymous always stirs this kind of thing up. Those who are stirrable, get stirred. Be still. That, too, is Bhuddist.

SafeCracker said...

Stillness, yes, very Buddhist. I think someone who is Buddhist wouldn't give a shit if someone was talking negatively about someone, or themselves. They would just let Karma take care of them.

GL Rules said...

Right you are, and on the path of self-acceptance. Self-acceptance is the number one reason people quit comedy, so watch out for that. Perhaps they quit or just move on to a more enlightened form of self-doubt.

SafeCracker said...

Perhaps, I think people quit comedy because they don't want to eat Top Ramen out of their oil pan at a Montana rest stop, whilst trying to figure out how they can water down their 40 ounce Steel Reserve so it can last awhile without compromising a good buzz.